Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sasha visits Dorothy's namesake memorial

I've had this project to do on my list for several years and finally yesterday took tiime to do it. The namesake for Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz was an infant niece of Frank Baum's who died in infancy in Bloomington, Illinois, less than twenty miles from where I live. So we dressed little Velvet in her Dorothy costume and rounded up Toto and set out. After discovering the cemetery was huge and a maze of roadways we stopped at the caretaker's office and sought help. The Memorial Garden and bench were both right next to the entrance and office but alas little Dorothy's grave was far beyond that area.
We brought a rose for Dorothy and took some photos for those of you too far away to visit her. We left the rose in honor of all the enjoyment of Wizard of Oz we've had all through my childhood.
Here is the online website that prompted me to follow through on my visit.
http://www.beyondtherainbow2oz.com/dorothygage.html
It tells you the story of finding Dorothy by one persistent fan and their dedication to her memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment